Welcome to the School of Education
Recognizing the unique mission of Brigham Young University Hawaii, the School of Education prepares quality teachers with the content knowledge, pedagogical skills, and professional dispositions required to meet the needs of students in today's diverse and changing society by teaching and modeling
- life-long learning and problem-solving abilities
- best current educational practices, balanced with gospel principles
- caring, compassionate, and collaborative service in the home, school, church and community, both locally and internationally.
The School of Education offers Bachelor's degrees in Elementary Education, and several content areas for Secondary Education. (see Programs). The School of Education also offers a post-baccalaureate teacher licensing program, which is available to qualified individuals and base on space availability. A Minors in Education is also available.
Elementary and Secondary Education teaching licenses are issued in Hawaii by the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board to candidates who:
- receive a recommendation from the School of Education at Brigham Young University Hawaii after successful completion of a state approved Teacher Education Program and
- successfully complete the additional licensing requirements for the State of Hawaii.
In addition to institutional accreditation review, the Teacher Education Programs offered by the School of Education are reviewed every five years through the State Approval of Teacher Education evaluation, coordinated and conducted by the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB). Each teacher education program is evaluated in accordance with the standards adapted from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The most recent approval of our Teacher Education Programs was received in March 2007.